Free forum for all users.
jcerzb1

Okay, so now what???

Postby jcerzb1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:40 pm

If we're going to hire Gus Malzahn, which I think Ark should do, it's time to let the past be in the past, and move forward. But we can't wait for possibly 3 more games, the recruiting class is already last in the SEC, with the likely departure of Hanspard. If Auburn beats GA next week, then I think we have to move on from Malzahn to Mike Norvell, depending how his team looks in the AAC Championship game against UCF.

DawgTownHog

Re: Okay, so now what???

Postby DawgTownHog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:42 pm

jcerzb1 wrote:If we're going to hire Gus Malzahn, which I think Ark should do, it's time to let the past be in the past, and move forward. But we can't wait for possibly 3 more games, the recruiting class is already last in the SEC, with the likely departure of Hanspard. If Auburn beats GA next week, then I think we have to move on from Malzahn to Mike Norvell, depending how his team looks in the AAC Championship game against UCF.
Norvell may be gone by then.

jcerzb1

Postby jcerzb1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:56 pm

DawgTownHog wrote:
jcerzb1 wrote:If we're going to hire Gus Malzahn, which I think Ark should do, it's time to let the past be in the past, and move forward. But we can't wait for possibly 3 more games, the recruiting class is already last in the SEC, with the likely departure of Hanspard. If Auburn beats GA next week, then I think we have to move on from Malzahn to Mike Norvell, depending how his team looks in the AAC Championship game against UCF.
Norvell may be gone by then.
Good point..But hopefully Julie or whoever is already in touch gauging his interest, and it's in the interest of both coaches to wait until their last game is played. I'm sure Norvell doesn't want a distraction this week either, UCF is no joke team. I would prefer Malzahn, because he's been in the trenches in the SEC, and players cannot make excuses blaming the coaches with him, because everyone knows he can win. But he may not want to leave Auburn now, even though one more avg season, and he's gone, and he knows that. That being said, a decision really needs to be made this week at the latest.

doghog72

Postby doghog72 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Kirby Smart coached the NC game for Alabama while he was UGA head coach. Gus Malzahn could do the same.

jcerzb1

Postby jcerzb1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:08 pm

doghog72 wrote:

Kirby Smart coached the NC game for Alabama while he was UGA head coach. Gus Malzahn could do the same.
If he says in advance that he's coming home, and it's a done deal. Otherwise we lose other candidates, there are a ton of openings this yr..

bakedhog19741

Postby bakedhog19741 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:15 pm

doghog72 wrote:

Kirby was a coordinator, Gus is HC. You have to look at the University as well. I’ll use Bret as an example, he was going to the Rose Bowl, and Alvarez said no, get your rear out of here and to AR. In my opinion, if Gus wins next week, and announces he is leaving, AUB would be butt hurt enough they wouldn’t let him coach. I don’t think Gus will give up the opportunity to coach in a NC game. So, if we are getting Gus, you won’t hear about it until a few days of the playoffs.

doghog72

Postby doghog72 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:25 pm

bakedhog19741 wrote:
doghog72 wrote:

Kirby was a coordinator, Gus is HC. You have to look at the University as well. I’ll use Bret as an example, he was going to the Rose Bowl, and Alvarez said no, get your rear out of here and to AR. In my opinion, if Gus wins next week, and announces he is leaving, AUB would be butt hurt enough they wouldn’t let him coach. I don’t think Gus will give up the opportunity to coach in a NC game. So, if we are getting Gus, you won’t hear about it until a few days of the playoffs.
there is a big difference in being 7-5 and going to the rose bowl and a legitimate shot at a NC. If Auburn were to make the playoffs and Malzahn accept the Arkansas job, Auburn would be stupid to not allow him to coach because then their chances go to zero.

If I am Arkansas I would definitely gauge interest from Malzahn, Frost, and Kiffin. Until the hot names are officially off the market you have to consider them as a potential candidate.

bakedhog19741

Postby bakedhog19741 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:35 pm

doghog72 wrote:
bakedhog19741 wrote:
doghog72 wrote:

there is a big difference in being 7-5 and going to the rose bowl and a legitimate shot at a NC. If Auburn were to make the playoffs and Malzahn accept the Arkansas job, Auburn would be stupid to not allow him to coach because then their chances go to zero.

If I am Arkansas I would definitely gauge interest from Malzahn, Frost, and Kiffin. Until the hot names are officially off the market you have to consider them as a potential candidate.

I’m not saying AR wouldn’t gauge interest, I’m saying Gus won’t say it, until much closer to Jan. As for AUB, as was said (I believe by you) in another thread, he was all but fired until GA. Yes, AUB is that stupidly vindictive to not let him coach.

SilverFox

Postby SilverFox » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 pm

If Norvell is not already committed to some new program, he will be in very short order. I truly HOPE that Arkansas has already reeled him in; - - if not, Norvell is likely bound elsewhere.

Gus is not going anywhere after today.

I would venture to say that there are VERY likely not a lot of proven-quality, household name, big-time football coaches who are champing at the bit to come to Arkansas. Our best bet - (perhaps our ONLY bet) - may be a little known dark horse up-and-coming young man who is currently either serving as an Offensive or Defensive Coordinator at a prestigious, high-profile program - - or is a HC at a lower tier or a mid tier football program.

invictahog

Postby invictahog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:44 pm

SilverFox wrote:If Norvell is not already committed to some new program, he will be in very short order. I truly HOPE that Arkansas has already reeled him in; - - if not, Norvell is likely bound elsewhere.

Gus is not going anywhere after today.

I would venture to say that there are VERY likely not a lot of proven-quality, household name, big-time football coaches who are champing at the bit to come to Arkansas. Our best bet - (perhaps our ONLY bet) - may be a little known dark horse up-and-coming young man who is currently either serving as an Offensive or Defensive Coordinator at a prestigious, high-profile program - - or is a HC at a lower tier or a mid tier football program.
I worry that you are right. It's a bad time to be firing both your coach and your AD unless you have something lined up. Sounds like Kelly signed with UCLA so Florida is still looking for someone in addition to Ole Miss, Tennessee, A&M