Free forum for all users.
bakedhog19741
Posts: 6117
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Gus Bus

Postby bakedhog19741 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:27 am

DawgTownHog wrote:
bakedhog19741 wrote:
dwp007 wrote:Given the timing, if the buzz that Malzahn will have a say in the hiring of the next AD is true, then he may be the guy.

I like Gus. He knows Arkansas and would be a huge improvement over the past 5 years, in my opinion.

Yet personally and for different reasons, I also like Mike Leach, Charlie Strong or the guy at Memphis.

I think a lot of people fail to realize, Gus is having issues at AUB. He had a terrible two year stretch with 4 & 5* athletes. He won’t get that here. I don’t think he is one of the coaches that can make up for the gap in talent by scheme (I actually think Petrino is better at that than him).

Charlie Strong couldn’t get it don’t in Texass with 4 & 5* talent in the Little 12. I see no reason in believing he can do it here with “less talent.”

Leach is EXTREMELY OVERRATED. Many on here claimed 8-4 is mediocre. His career stats show a 7-5 guy (and that counts an 11-2 year). Bret was a career 9-3 guy prior to coming here. No way Leach will be ready for the SEC.

As for Mike Norvell, I’m not sure two years as a HC will be good enough, but if those four are my choices, I’d risk it to find out. However, the rumor mill is Norvell has already accepted another job, which will be announced after their Championship Game. If Memphis wins they’ll play in a New Year’s Six Bowl, that he may not coach in.

Just curious...you wouldn't want Norvell because he only has 2yrs as a HC...right? Soooo...a 34yr old with one year as a HC would be out of the question, huh?


Frank Broyles was 34yrs old and had one year as a HC before being hired at Arkansas and he won a National Championship 6yrs later. Geeze...

Different time, and Frank never coached in the SEC

Edit: Also, when it comes to Norvell, Memphis was built by a guy named Justin Fuente. Fuente used Norvell’s philosophy. Norvell took over a program that had already ran HIS system for two years prior to arriving. So, Norvell hasn’t turned a program around. You can give him some credit, because it was his philosophy, but he himself didn’t do anything to lead me to believe he can rebuild AR.

DawgTownHog
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Re: Gus Bus

Postby DawgTownHog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:37 am

bakedhog19741 wrote:
DawgTownHog wrote:
bakedhog19741 wrote:

I think a lot of people fail to realize, Gus is having issues at AUB. He had a terrible two year stretch with 4 & 5* athletes. He won’t get that here. I don’t think he is one of the coaches that can make up for the gap in talent by scheme (I actually think Petrino is better at that than him).

Charlie Strong couldn’t get it don’t in Texass with 4 & 5* talent in the Little 12. I see no reason in believing he can do it here with “less talent.”

Leach is EXTREMELY OVERRATED. Many on here claimed 8-4 is mediocre. His career stats show a 7-5 guy (and that counts an 11-2 year). Bret was a career 9-3 guy prior to coming here. No way Leach will be ready for the SEC.

As for Mike Norvell, I’m not sure two years as a HC will be good enough, but if those four are my choices, I’d risk it to find out. However, the rumor mill is Norvell has already accepted another job, which will be announced after their Championship Game. If Memphis wins they’ll play in a New Year’s Six Bowl, that he may not coach in.

Just curious...you wouldn't want Norvell because he only has 2yrs as a HC...right? Soooo...a 34yr old with one year as a HC would be out of the question, huh?


Frank Broyles was 34yrs old and had one year as a HC before being hired at Arkansas and he won a National Championship 6yrs later. Geeze...

Different time, and Frank never coached in the SEC

Edit: Also, when it comes to Norvell, Memphis was built by a guy named Justin Fuente. Fuente used Norvell’s philosophy. Norvell took over a program that had already ran HIS system for two years prior to arriving. So, Norvell hasn’t turned a program around. You can give him some credit, because it was his philosophy, but he himself didn’t do anything to lead me to believe he can rebuild AR.
Stoops, Fisher, Richt, Smart, Sweeney...all assistant coaches with absolutely no head coaching experience or past experience turning around a program before taking over Major College Football Programs who went on to great success. But yeah, we are Arkansas and we are better than Oklahoma, Florida State, Georgia and Clemson. Yeah.

bakedhog19741
Posts: 6117
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Gus Bus

Postby bakedhog19741 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:44 am

DawgTownHog wrote:
bakedhog19741 wrote:
DawgTownHog wrote:

Just curious...you wouldn't want Norvell because he only has 2yrs as a HC...right? Soooo...a 34yr old with one year as a HC would be out of the question, huh?


Frank Broyles was 34yrs old and had one year as a HC before being hired at Arkansas and he won a National Championship 6yrs later. Geeze...

Different time, and Frank never coached in the SEC

Edit: Also, when it comes to Norvell, Memphis was built by a guy named Justin Fuente. Fuente used Norvell’s philosophy. Norvell took over a program that had already ran HIS system for two years prior to arriving. So, Norvell hasn’t turned a program around. You can give him some credit, because it was his philosophy, but he himself didn’t do anything to lead me to believe he can rebuild AR.
Stoops, Fisher, Richt, Smart, Sweeney...all assistant coaches with absolutely no head coaching experience or past experience turning around a program before taking over Major College Football Programs who went on to great success. But yeah, we are Arkansas and we are better than Oklahoma, Florida State, Georgia and Clemson. Yeah.

Are you just trying to start something, all those guys coached as assistants in major conferences for good teams prior to taking over at a major school. Norvell was an assistant at Arizona St and Pitt, before Memphis. Are you really trying to say that Pitt and ASU west is better than those other teams? Exactly

DawgTownHog
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Re: Gus Bus

Postby DawgTownHog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:03 am

bakedhog19741 wrote:
DawgTownHog wrote:
bakedhog19741 wrote:

Different time, and Frank never coached in the SEC

Edit: Also, when it comes to Norvell, Memphis was built by a guy named Justin Fuente. Fuente used Norvell’s philosophy. Norvell took over a program that had already ran HIS system for two years prior to arriving. So, Norvell hasn’t turned a program around. You can give him some credit, because it was his philosophy, but he himself didn’t do anything to lead me to believe he can rebuild AR.
Stoops, Fisher, Richt, Smart, Sweeney...all assistant coaches with absolutely no head coaching experience or past experience turning around a program before taking over Major College Football Programs who went on to great success. But yeah, we are Arkansas and we are better than Oklahoma, Florida State, Georgia and Clemson. Yeah.

Are you just trying to start something, all those guys coached as assistants in major conferences for good teams prior to taking over at a major school. Norvell was an assistant at Arizona St and Pitt, before Memphis. Are you really trying to say that Pitt and ASU west is better than those other teams? Exactly
I am disagreeing with you...not trying to "start something" is this the school ground...we bout to fight? To your argument so you would rather hire a HC with no HC experience who has been a coordinator at a major school in a major conference than a current HC with two years of experience and great success. Ok. I understand now. SMDH

bakedhog19741
Posts: 6117
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Gus Bus

Postby bakedhog19741 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:14 am

DawgTownHog wrote:
bakedhog19741 wrote:
DawgTownHog wrote:
Stoops, Fisher, Richt, Smart, Sweeney...all assistant coaches with absolutely no head coaching experience or past experience turning around a program before taking over Major College Football Programs who went on to great success. But yeah, we are Arkansas and we are better than Oklahoma, Florida State, Georgia and Clemson. Yeah.

Are you just trying to start something, all those guys coached as assistants in major conferences for good teams prior to taking over at a major school. Norvell was an assistant at Arizona St and Pitt, before Memphis. Are you really trying to say that Pitt and ASU west is better than those other teams? Exactly
I am disagreeing with you...not trying to "start something" is this the school ground...we bout to fight? To your argument so you would rather hire a HC with no HC experience who has been a coordinator at a major school in a major conference than a current HC with two years of experience and great success. Ok. I understand now. SMDH

Again, you’re missing the point of the HC with 2 years of experience taking over a good team and continuing the same philosophy as the prior coach. He didn’t do anything to “build” that success, he rode the coattails of his predecessor. We just fired a coach that fits the same description.

So, if we were to hire John Chavis, who has been a coordinator at multiple SEC schools and won NC’s with one of those schools and can recruit, I wouldn’t complain about it. Norvell has never done any of that. Now, my original statement I didn’t say I didn’t want him, I said I don’t know about two years experience, especially, when we just fired a coach that had seven years experience with a 9-3 avg and three straight Rose Bowl appearances. I’d actually would prefer him to the other three mentioned, and over Chavis.

DawgTownHog
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Re: Gus Bus

Postby DawgTownHog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 am

bakedhog19741 wrote:
DawgTownHog wrote:
bakedhog19741 wrote:

Are you just trying to start something, all those guys coached as assistants in major conferences for good teams prior to taking over at a major school. Norvell was an assistant at Arizona St and Pitt, before Memphis. Are you really trying to say that Pitt and ASU west is better than those other teams? Exactly
I am disagreeing with you...not trying to "start something" is this the school ground...we bout to fight? To your argument so you would rather hire a HC with no HC experience who has been a coordinator at a major school in a major conference than a current HC with two years of experience and great success. Ok. I understand now. SMDH



Again, you’re missing the point of the HC with 2 years of experience taking over a good team and continuing the same philosophy as the prior coach. He didn’t do anything to “build” that success, he rode the coattails of his predecessor. We just fired a coach that fits the same description.

So, if we were to hire John Chavis, who has been a coordinator at multiple SEC schools and won NC’s with one of those schools and can recruit, I wouldn’t complain about it. Norvell has never done any of that. Now, my original statement I didn’t say I didn’t want him, I said I don’t know about two years experience, especially, when we just fired a coach that had seven years experience with a 9-3 avg and three straight Rose Bowl appearances. I’d actually would prefer him to the other three mentioned, and over Chavis.
Hahahah...Chavis? You said Chavis? John Chavis who is 61yrs old and never been a HC you would take him over Norvell? Ok...I'm done.

LaHog
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Re: Gus Bus

Postby LaHog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:22 am

Hey guys, I like reading your back and forth but to be honest, it’s not up to us. I’m with you in the freedom of comments but I just hope whomever is hired, he has a strong understanding of the SEC and what it really takes to recruit the type players to compete in the SEC West. I don’t want to see another trial and error guy hired that has no experience and knowledge of what it takes to win in the toughest conference. I see all these comments about Arkansas not attracting recruits to play for the Razorbacks, I quit thinking that crap, if the right coach and staff are assembled I believe Arkansas can be a prominate program every year, it takes determination and money to do it and The U of A has both.

bakedhog19741
Posts: 6117
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: Gus Bus

Postby bakedhog19741 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:26 am

LaHog wrote:Hey guys, I like reading your back and forth but to be honest, it’s not up to us. I’m with you in the freedom of comments but I just hope whomever is hired, he has a strong understanding of the SEC and what it really takes to recruit the type players to compete in the SEC West. I don’t want to see another trial and error guy hired that has no experience and knowledge of what it takes to win in the toughest conference. I see all these comments about Arkansas not attracting recruits to play for the Razorbacks, I quit thinking that crap, if the right coach and staff are assembled I believe Arkansas can be a prominate program every year, it takes determination and money to do it and The U of A has both.

I think there is a difference between having the money and actually spending it wisely. I think that’s the big issue. Pay the coach and pay assistants. How much will it take, and will those that write those checks be willing to write them?

doghog72
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Gus Bus

Postby doghog72 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Lane Kiffin

dwp007
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Re: Gus Bus

Postby dwp007 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 pm

doghog72 wrote:Lane Kiffin
Personally, I have never been a Lane Kiffin fan. He's a gifted OC, but marginal HC in my opinion. He also seems to lack some fundamental and very basic character traits, from many things said and written.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 65 guests